Skip to content

Marriage in Denmark

General information:

According to information provided by the Copenhagen City Hall's Marriage Office (Københavns Magistrat, 1. afd.), the following documentation is required when a foreign national wishes to register for marriage in Denmark:

  1. Birth certificate
  2. Valid passport.
  3. Civil status certificate.
  4. If relevant, divorce certificate or, in case of former spouse's death, death certificate.
  5. Name change certificate, if relevant.

Please note that such certificates should be sent for prior approval to:

Københavns Overpræsidium, Hammerensgade 1, 1267 København K, tel. no. (+45) 3312 2380.

The Marriage Office has mentioned that the couple should plan to stay in the city for at least 14 days.

Contact details for the Copenhagen Citizen Service Centre:

Phone: (+45) 33 66 33 66
Phone hours: Mon-Fri 10.00 - 18.00
E-mail: [email protected]

Read more about marriages, Municipality of Copenhagen:

A fee will be charged for the service.


Guideline on how to obtain No Impediment of Marriage / Civil Status Certificate

There is no practice to pursue a certificate of No Impediment of Marriage / Civil Status Certificate in Myanmar. Instead an affidavit of being under the guardianship of parents can be obtained via following steps:

  • He/she shall personally go to the court and make an oath that he/she is under the guardianship of parents.
  • The court will issue an affidavit that has to be notarized.
  • The notarised document will have to be legalised by Myanmar Ministry of Foreign affairs and the Danish Embassy.

Registered Partnership:

Two persons of the same sex may have their partnership registered provided that at least one of the partners is a Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian, or Swedish national who resides in Denmark, or provided that both partners have resided in Denmark for the last two years before the registration.

Thus, neither two foreign nationals, nor two persons residing abroad can have their partnership registered in Denmark. (See more information, however, only in Danish, at:

How to legalise documents to be used in Denmark

The original Myanmar certificates should be legalized as follows:

1. The certificates and English translation* should be notarised and legalised by the Myanmar Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Consular Department

Pyay Road and Than Ta Man Street

Dagon Tsp. Yangon.

Tel. no.: +95 01 221540 or Notary Public Department : +95 01 220244

Nay Pyi Taw

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Consular Department

Office no. 9

Nay Pyi Taw

Tel. no.: +95 067 412063

2. The Danish Embassy will legalise the signature from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

*Please note that the Embassy reserves the right to reject legalisation of an incorrect translation, even though it may have already been legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Also please note that the Embassy cannot assist in procuring the necessary Myanmar certificates for marriage in Denmark, and we can neither assist with bringing the certificates to the Myanmar Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalization.